Rosie Perez

 Rosie Perez was born in Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York City and was the daughter of Lydia Perez and Ismael Serrano who was a merchant marine. Rosie is Puerto Rican. Rosie was educated at Grover Cleveland High School, Ridgewood, Queens, New York. She then attended Los Angeles City College, Los Angeles, California. Rosie Perez was in her second year at college and about to move back to New York from Los Angeles. Her friends had thrown her a party to celebrate. Spike Lee offered her a part in his film Do the Right Thing (1989). She agreed. This was her first big acting job. In Peter Weir's Fearless (1993), she played the part of Carla Rodrigo, for which she was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Artistess. (She was defeated by Anna Paquin for The Piano (1993).) At the beginning of my career, the Latin community was the one responsible for my most of the negative feedback I was subjected to. I can remember my parents taking me out for lunch and saying to me "Can you take lessons to lessen your accent?" Or, "When it's a talk show, how are you going to not be so funny? My peers gave me a lot of negativity about my voice and I even tried. I did my best to make a change, but it was my voice that I used to speak. As I got older my octaves slowed down thanks to God. It's a matter of taking on your fears head-on. Boxing is more about fighting for your rights. Floyd Mayweather could be punched or swung clean down his middle and he'd never hesitate. And I'm aware of what he's doing. (Who has mentioned Don Cornelius's fascination with her dancing]: Don Cornelius was not interested in watching me perform. I was performing hip-hop, which was not a style that was familiar to Californians. They only knew about popping and locking, so they were not keen on hip-hop dancing. Don was as if, "No. You're an attractive girl. I was like "What?" This is really bizarre. Then I was required to perform in high-heeled shoes. I've hadn't danced in heels before, and I was wearing this tiny little small dress, and it's riding up my ass and I'm all like, Oh my God!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amanda Lamb personal life

Christina Anstead measurements, bio, height, weight, shoe and bra size

Elizabeth Leigh Vassey